24 October 2010

The first batch of worm poo is here


(Two of my worm buddies. Don't worry... they're back safe and sound in their bin.)

I currently have two compost systems at work. The first consists of a couple of 5 gallon buckets into which I throw fruit/veggie scraps that I cover with old potting soil or dry materials (such as dry leaves or newspapers). The second is a vermicomposting bin that sits in my kitchen and which also receives its share of veggie/fruit scraps. I started the worm bin about 6 months ago, so it was time to harvest some castings (aka, worm poo). The castings were gorgeous and smelled earthy and rich. The worms weren't delighted to be disturbed while I rifled through the bin's contents, but they seem to be doing well otherwise. I saw quite a few eggs and tons of fat, wiggly worms. My vermicomposting experiment is a great success so far!

(Contents of worm bin before harvesting. It's not pretty, but the worms love it.)

(Worm castings -- the color is deceiving because of the camera's flash. The castings are actually very dark brown, almost black. Mixed in with the castings are bits of egg shells and coconut fiber that I didn't feel like picking through anymore. They'll break down and enrich the castings even further, so I don't mind having them in there.)

(I replenished the worm bin with fresh newspaper and food scraps.)


  1. This is very cool! I've heard a lot about vermiculture ... even had a guest write about it on my blog ... but have never tried it out. I love the idea of happy little worms working away. This might be my next step in our composting journey!

    BTW ... last Wednesday, on my blog, the challenge was to offer information about composting ... and this post is a wonderful, informational post. So, I'm going to include you in the Honor Society. Stop by on Wednesday, if you get a chance, and check it out! :) Oh - I answer your question on composting on my blog. The short answer - my buckets had holes.

  2. I'd love to be included! I saw your CTWW challenge on compost but haven't had a chance to write up anything, so I'm honored that you'll include this post. :)

    And thanks for answering the question about aeration. I think I may follow your lead and use 10 gallon planters, since they already include holes. Otherwise, I have to drill the into plastic buckets and scatter tiny plastic bits all over the place.