How to dry basil in the microwave
(caveat: since microwaves vary, you may need to adjust the time/heat level. This method probably works best in a microwave with a rotating plate.)
- Wash and thoroughly dry all basil leaves.
- Lay an individual layer of basil leaves on a dry paper towel on your microwave's plate. Cover the leaves with another paper towel.
- Let the microwave run for 30 seconds. Turn leaves over, and let it run for another 30 seconds.
- Repeat as necessary (it only took me 1 1/2 minutes!)
- Before storing (whole or crushed), ensure that all moisture has been depleted (see caption below).
(Basil leaves after drying. I placed the dried basil on a paper towel and covered with saran wrap overnight in order to check that all moisture had been depleted.)
(I decided to keep the dried basil whole rather than crushing it. I'll subsequently crush the pieces that I need for each recipe.)
This post is a part of Real Food Wednesday & Simple Lives Thursday.